Saturday, September 20, 2008

Custom made wedding gown/dress in Vietnam for abour $250

When it came to choosing a wedding dress for myself, I overwhelmed with so many choices. One was not enough, I wanted to wear more than one dress at my wedding. Especially when I'd always loved wearing long white dress, so this was probably the only chance I can wear it. There were so many styles I loved to wear them all for my wedding.

At first, I thought of buying one or two gowns here in the US, then I'd rent one or two more. I'd shopped on many websites and an affordable wedding dress typically was sold around $400-$700. That was fine, I could afford buying one; still I was searching for other options that would be more affordable so I can have more than one dress on my day.

About 4 months before the wedding, my then fiance and I went to Vietnam to plan for our wedding in Vietnam (we had two weddings, one in San Jose, CA and one two months later in Saigon since the groom's family is living there.) There I found out that the prices of renting, buying, and tailoring a wedding gown were about the same; the price for tailoring was even cheapest. A friend there recommended a tailor who made her wedding gown. I had ordered a long white gown to wear at my ceremony at the church. I showed the tailor all the pictures of the dresses I liked, pointed out which detail on each dress that I'd love to have on my own one. Based on my look, she also suggested some other ideas that would suite me better. Then she sketched a gown for me, combining all my likes and her suggestions.

On the day when I came back to try on the gown, I absolutely loved it. I chose a long, very long veil with pearl detail to go with it. In total, I paid around $250 USD for this gown, veil and gloves (including labor cost and all material). Not bad, so I had ordered another dress there. Later, I had two more dresses tailored in Saigon, each cost just around $200. Therefore, I had four wedding dresses (three white and one red) and an Ao Dai for my weddings.

If I had more time in Saigon, I might ended up having a few more dresses and wouldn't have enough time to change them all at my wedding ... :-)

Now still, I love wearing wedding dress ...

Here are some pictures of styles I love.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember the tailor store? I want to get my dress made in Vietnam. Do you have a good tailor to suggest?

Eileen Mai said...

Hi,

I only know this one store. The name of the store is Chinh's Bridals. It's been over 2 years so I'm not sure if they have moved but in 2006, the store was located at Vuon Chuoi market area. The cell number I have is: 0903-709984.